Thursday, February 18, 2010

the word for Thursday 18.02.2010 is FRAGILE

Today's word is fragile. Don't know if other people feel the same but l find there are words l like the sound of and others, that make me feel like some one has scrapped their names down a blackboard! Fragile, luckily, is a word l really like the sound of. It sort of swirls round my mouth in a soft sounding way!! I was quite shocked, to see how little there was to explain "fragile" in my laptop's on-line dictionary.
I can think of fragile as in un-fired pottery, or fragile meaning weak as in a new born baby. You read about fabric being old and therefore very fragile. As l started my journey to town, l was doing my usual route, when on the floor l saw my image.

This pigeon feather is so tiny and very fragile. Soft to the touch, fluffy and so fragile, that if you rub the feathers up the wrong way, it bends and will brake.
....................................................................................................................................................................

fragile |ˈfrajəl; -ˌjīl|adjective(of an object) easily broken or damaged.• flimsy or insubstantial; easily destroyed you have a fragile grip onreality.• (of a personnot strong or sturdy; delicate and vulnerable.DERIVATIVESfragilely |ˈfrajə(l)lē| |ˈfrødʒə(l)li| adverbfragility |frəˈjilitē| |frəˈdʒɪlədi| |frəˈdʒɪlɪti| nounORIGIN late 15th cent. (in the sense [morally weak): from Latinfragilis, from frangere ‘to break.’ The sense [liable to break] dates from the mid 16th cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment