Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The word for Tuesday 08.03.2010 is SUPPORT

Sorry folks, it has been over a week since l lasted posrted but it has been a stressful time in my life. My husband had his heart shocked last monday and fingers crossed..it seems to have worked!! He is getting stronger by the day thankfully. Secondly, l had my parents and my sister here for 3 days, as my dad is appointed a MBE for his charity work. So l had little time to do my blogging..but l am back and l hope my followers will still be here to follow me again!!

TODAY'S WORD IS SUPPORT.

Support to me, could mean to hold someone up by your arms or by giving them emotional support. It could also mean supporting say, a falling wall with wooden supports (!) to hold it up. Could also mean that a school is supporting a failing child, by giving him extra tutoring, for instance. I thought this was a good start, so off l went, with my camera. After a while, l came across the image l wanted. There is a piece of machinery standing in the River Thames, just after Putney Bridge. This piece of machinery is being supported by 4 large metal/wooden poles, one at each corner of the platform. I have no idea what it is there for but l am sure l will find out later this week! I also love the bright orange and red that the structure is painted in, really brightens up the river!

...................................................................................................................................................................
support |səˈpôrt|verb [ trans. ]bear all or part of the weight of; hold up the dome was supported by ahundred white columns.• produce enough food and water for; be capable of sustaining the land had lost its capacity to support life.• be capable of fulfilling (a role) adequately tutors gain practical experience that helps them support their tutoring role.• endure; tolerate at work during the day I could support the grief.give assistance to, esp. financially; enable to function or act the government gives $2.5 billion a year to support the activities of the voluntary sector.• provide with a home and the necessities of life my main concern was to support my family.• give comfort and emotional help to I like to visit her to support her.• approve of and encourage the proposal was supported by many delegates.• suggest the truth of; corroborate the studies support our findings.• be actively interested in and concerned for the success of (a particular sports team).• [as adj. ( supporting) (of an actor or a role) important in a play or film but subordinate to the leading parts.• (of a pop or rock group or performer) function as a secondary act to (another) at a concert.Computing (of a computer or operating system) allow the use or operation of (a program, language, or device) the new versions do not support the graphical user interface standard.nouna thing that bears the weight of something or keeps it upright the best support for a camera is a tripod.• the action or state of bearing the weight of something or someone or of being so supported she clutched the sideboard for support.material assistance he urged that military support be sent to protect humanitarian convoys [as adj. support staff.• comfort and emotional help offered to someone in distress she's been through a bad time and needs our support.• approval and encouragement the policies of reform enjoy widespread support.• a secondary act at a pop or rock concert.• technical help given to the user of a computer or other product.

3 comments:

  1. Sending good thoughts and wishes to you and your husband. Your weblog is a treasure - no matter when you post! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all is well for you and your husband now. Love your 'support' - how very timely. It is always great to come visit you here x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your husband's bout of ill health but I am also delighted to hear about your dad's award.

    Thanks for popping over to see me. I don't know how you manage to cope with four blogs - it's all I can do to run one

    ReplyDelete